Suggested Hobbies?

I am not finished with my bread making hobby – nor with yogurt making – but I’m trying to think of more ‘summer hobbies’ that I can do. They don’t have to be food-related, despite my current pursuits.

Any thoughts?

The requirements are that they be inexpensive to start/do (i.e., I don’t have to buy a crapload of supplies), not require sustained attention (i.e., I can walk away for an hour here and there and nothing will explode or die), and that the whole thing doesn’t require me to tolerate delayed gratification (i.e., I don’t have to wait two months to see the results).

I’m hoping to spend some time sewing and I’m definitely going to be doing some gardening. I will spend some time with a stack of library books and yes, in fact, I am going to clean up my sock drawer.

Beyond that, however, what should I consider?

1. Andrew says:

Is there a pen-pal equivalent to sexting? ;)

• Sanna says:

Yes. But it’s terribly, terribly slow. Ever written something awesomely hawt and… had the other person reply five days later…

>.< You'll never get to the fun part, promise.

2. Annika says:

I think you should make refrigerator pickles. I’ll send you the recipe as soon as I dig it up.

3. Sanna says:

Jams! Mmm…. strawberry jam on toast… and saft. You’ve got Swedish ancestors, look up saft. I’ll pitch you some recipes, if you like. It’s very, very simple. Apple drink is also very simple when it’s that time of year, you just dump apropriate amounts of apple slices, water, sugar and lemonjuice in a big, clean bucket and leave for a week in a cool location. Bottle or jar it, and tadaaaaa, lots of yummy drink! It freezes well too.

Go foraging! Look for edible and storable wild plants. Bring Maymo and MO, as they seem to enjoy cubs and scouts, they’ll love to help, I think. Chestnut trees, nettles, berrypatches, wild onions, that kind of stuff.

Otherwise, I suggest gardening. Would people look wierdly at you if you created a small holding in your garden? Like… a couple of hens, and veggie-patches? You could be working all summer making appropriate hen-sheds, digging up veggiepatches, and prepping for next year. That allows the option of leaving it. It can also be very, very cheap, if you want it to be.

Build a doggie area in the garden, lest you have one already, and make it kitty-proof so that your cat can go outside and play too. (Um. Net roofs are recomended if you want to cage cats…..) I’ve got some links for that too.

Hmm… what else… *creative* (Note that I’m so TOTALLY AVOIDING STUDYING) Learn to knit and/or crochet? Make kittytoys with catnip inside of them and watch kitty go nuts.

BLOW UP BALOOONS!

Other than that, you can always google things like small holding, downsizing, simple living. I recomend you go over to http://down—to—earth.blogspot.com and poke around her forum too.

4. Robyn says:

Jam!

of the edible kind, not the musical kind.

5. Dave says:

The time is coming to put the dehydrator to use!

And I agree with Annika, you can go nuts trying different types of pickles.

My summer goal is to try and recreate Heinz Picalily, which you have to go to an import store to get down here!

Visiting friends who live 3hours south!!

7. melissa says:

Hooping!!

Get a hula hoop-you can make your own!

The entire fam can hoop too-it’s totally not just a girl thing.