First, You Must Read The Longest Disclaimer in History.
This is a personal blog. When I talk about work, I do my best to obfuscate details as much as possible, but I talk about it because the work that I do makes me happy and because I believe very strongly in what I do. My employer has nothing to do with this blog.
Every drop of this blog belongs to me and only me, except in instances where I’ve noted my use of an image or text that belongs to someone else. Regardless of whether you believe in karma or not, don’t steal my words/images/stuff.
Feel free to link to my blog any time you like, in any capacity, even if it’s just to call me a dumbass – I’m okay with that – but don’t link directly to images.
Now, Here’s The Nitty Gritty Stuff.
I’m Violet. I was born on July 16. I have
purple/pink hair (depending on my mood), brown hair, due to societal norms that I must (temporarily?) adhere to in order to achieve specific goals purple purple AND pink bright red hair, and green eyes and plenty of tattoos and piercings.
I manage an outreach program at an agency that works with a particular infectious disease. My job is awesome. I do interesting things like educate people around harm reduction, work with substance users to help them stay safe and healthy, hire and train (and then supervise) peer outreach workers, teach people about infectious diseases, talk about things like sex work and addiction and .. well, I could go on and on. I love people, as a general rule, and working “on the front lines” is heavenly.
I’m married to Coffee, a geeky guy who makes me the happiest girl on earth. I try very hard to not speak on his behalf within my blog posts, so there are many instances where he’s conspicuously absent – where I use “I think..” or “I decided to…” instead of noting his participation in those situations. When I talk about him, I do it from my perspective – he can get his own blog if he has something to say that won’t fit in my comment section.
(It’s safe for me to say that he is the best husband, best friend, and best omelette-maker on earth. I love him very, very much.)
We have three boys who are known on my blog as Oldest One (15), Middle One (13) and Maymo (9). They were adopted by Coffee and me in December of 2007. We chose adoption purposely – we did not, at any point in time, attempt to conceive a biological kid – and even now the whole concept of “being responsible for other people” is crazy.
I don’t talk much about my kids on my blog (because it’s my blog, not their blog). Posts about my kids are password protected (other than tiny little tidbits here and there) and I will only provide the password to people who I know. If you think I ‘know’ you well enough that I’d be okay with you reading it, please email me and I’ll give you access. I do this because my boys will someday need to create their own online identities and again, because I don’t speak for them – just from my perspective.
Our family has two dogs and two cats and a collection of pet garden snails. We have made friends with the neighbourhood tom cat, we feed the local squirrels large quantities of peanuts every morning, and okay, yes, we’re all a bunch of tree-huggin’ hippies over here. We even have a mostly-peaceful relationship with the dust bunnies under the dining room table.
Much of my blog is random – I rant when I’m ranty, I whine when I’m whiny, and I laugh when I’m amused. Don’t take it too seriously, and please know that I’m not taking it too seriously either. It is what it is – a slice, a part, a portion of my life.
One last fact you should know is that I love lists.
Here’s one for you:
- I believe in things like love and nature and recycling and being kind to others.
- My favourite word is “mutherfucker”.
- I avoid the phone at all costs. Voicemails pile up for DAYS before I check them.
- Mail, however, is the best thing EVER.
- I am very smell-oriented. My nose is mighty powerful.
- I think you should read the book “Cunt” by Inga Muscio.
- Things that sparkle are generally a good thing.
- Pink is not a gender stereotype – it’s a colour.
- Life is good.
- I love profanity. I swear a lot. A LOT lot.
- I consider chocolate a mandatory food group.
- I believe men can be feminists. My husband is.
- I am vehemently pro-choice on every single subject that can have pro-choice slapped onto it.
- I think the library is the greatest place on earth.
- I have ADD but I’m unmedicated. By choice. Life is more fun this way.
- I love sleep. Napping. Passing out while watching TV. Sleeeeeeep.
- I believe that weed should be legal.
- I was married once before – I’m pretty sure he’s still alive, somewhere.
- I have multiple piercings and tattoos and I’m not done adorning myself yet.
- I am addicted to UFC and MMA.
- My parents are both dead – they both died at a rather young age.
- I’m an only child.
- I drive stick.
My most-often used phrase, yet rarely used in email, is: “It’s all good.”
Comments are now closed.