There are a lot of things in this world that, in my mind at least, sound like a good idea but are not. I explain this by saying that I “like [thing] in concept”.
Here is my ongoing list of things that I like “in concept”:
- Soup. It’s basically a drink. An unfulfilling drink. I am always hungry an hour after eating soup. It doesn’t matter if it includes pasta or whole vegetables or meat. It’s just not really food.
- Cereal. I can’t tell you how many different types of cereal I have tried over the years. I don’t think I have ever finished a box of cereal. Ever. I will eat some, enjoy it for a bit, and then abandon it forever. What’s the point of cereal? Not fulfilling.
- Peanut butter. It just gums up my mouth, makes me feel queasy, has too much sugar, and the “natural” kind is just a greasy nightmare. No, adding jam doesn’t help. No, it doesn’t matter if it’s crunchy or smooth. Overrated!
- Juice. It always sounds so delicious. Let’s drink some tangy orange juice! Mmm, look, a big glass of pineapple-mango juice! But no. It is not.
- Gardening. Everyone likes flowers! I like flowers! I fucking hate planting, pruning, weeding, weeding, weeding, weeding.. Vegetables are no better PLUS they have the added ‘bonus’ of being demolished by the local squirrels, chipmunks, raccoons, voles, and whatever-the-hell-else. I hate being out in the sun. I hate being hot and sweaty and getting scratched by twigs and whatever. It’s all awful. Gardening is awful.